Monday, December 30, 2013

Making the Crown

As I mentioned before, I sewed the crown of the hat without stiffener in the side because I thought I could cleverly insert it between this and the lining fabric and thus avoid having to sew the bulky interfacing into the top crown seam. That actually worked pretty well.

First I had to make the lining, which is obviously from the same gray denim:


I have just sewn the crown seam, and now I'm going to topstitch it. Topstitching adds such professional touch! It's easy to do. I align the middle of the left "toe" of my presser foot with the seam crease as I sew. Make sure the seam allowances beneath are pressed so they will be secured in the stitching.


Now the lining looks like this:


Next I cut and inserted a piece of interfacing into the actual crown (outer fabric). As you remember, the top of the crown has already been stiffened. I have held it in place with a line of stitching, but otherwise it floats freely. The lining will hold it in place.


Here's the lining placed inside. Of course, lining and outer fabric are are wrong-sides-together.


I pinned them together, then ran a line of stitching around the raw edge. Below is the finished crown.


Stay tuned...




No comments:

Post a Comment