Saturday, December 28, 2013

Tracing the Hat to Make a Pattern

I began to create a pattern for the hat by tracing its form. There are 3 pattern pieces: crown top, crown side, and brim. The hat is symmetrical from side to side, so I only need to trace half of it.






As you can see, I created a lot of matching points, especially where the curves are sharpest. This will help me make sure I'm not stretching a curved edge out of shape when I sew it to a straighter edge. I traced these preliminary pieces on a (makeshift) light table to make the completed pattern pieces shown in the next photo. Notice that a 3/8" seam allowance has been added on all the edges except the outside of the rim, which will be encased in a binding.


(By the way, you can click on any image to open an enlargement of it in a separate window. To go back to the blog post, close the image by clicking on the X in the upper right corner.) 

Stay tuned...



No comments:

Post a Comment